1. North Scituate

When the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad Company came to Scituate, they built a fine station at the North Scituate crossroads and soon a commercial center developed. The original train canopy is under renovations with CPA funds. In the 40’s thru the 70’s,Tony’s Spa, Gate’s Men’s Store & Brooks Pharmacy were popular spots. Today, Wilder’s Garage and Jamie’s Gannet Grill are still as busy as ever. The ‘Mayor’ of North Scituate, Gil Wilder, was responsible for the installation of the bell in the park. Susan Phippen headed the restoration of the rock-faced WPA building and Scott Roberts installed the clock to commemorate Lester Gates.       


2. Country Way (Boston Post Road)

Before Timothy Hatherly and before the Men of Kent, approximately 10,000 Wampanoags roamed the area, cleared land, farmed, and wore foot paths. But the tribe had been nearly wiped out by plague, therefore posed little threat to the visitors. In fact, the cleared land and the easy-to-navigate paths attracted the newcomers, who quickly appropriated them for their own. Country Way, Scituate’s portion of the Boston Post Road, and the longest road in town, follows one of those paths laid out centuries before by the native population.


3. Hunter’s Pond

Is fed by Bound Brook, the 1640 division between Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay counties, at the time, the Separatists and the Puritains. It was on Hunter’s pond that the First Baptist Church’s beloved Reverend Creelman first established his reputation as a fast and tough hockey player.


4. Mordecai Lincoln’s Mill     

Abraham Lincoln’s great-great-great grandfather built a mill here in 1691-1692


5. Hollet Island Park         

A wide spot in Gannett Road became a popular picnic spot for locals before the invention of the Automobile ...and for Summer visitors thereafter.


6. Mushquashcut Pond

(Natives can pronounce it.) Watch the cormorants drying their wings as they take a break from their underwater fishing. Timothy Hatherly liked this neighborhood. He farmed across the street, and it was farmland for centuries.


7. Timothy Hatherly

A bronze plaque marks the edge of Tim’s property. One of the original Conihassett Partners, the Merchant Adventurer saw Scituate as a great opportunity for the new immigrants.  A beautiful safe harbor, friendly natives, a navigable river inland, and land already cleared by the Indians!  But the equally new town with the indian name of Shawmut, and with the same qualifications, grew faster, and changed its name to ‘Boston’.


8. North Scituate Beach

Its soft white sugar-sand once stretched 50 yards into the ocean, even at high tide.  But alas, the construction of a seawall to protect the newly-built summer homes doomed the beach to be consumed until now, when only at low-tide are we reminded of its faded glory. And by the way, ‘Minot Beach’ is further up Glades road before the gate to the Adams Estate.


9. The Irish Riviera

When Boston Irish politicians began to move to Minot, their Yankee rivals, who summered in Nahant, derided their choice of resort as “The Irish Rivera”. Not to be insulted, the summering pols adopted the aspersion with pride.


10. Site of the Cliff Hotel 

When the fire horn blew 4-1-4 one spring night in 1974, everyone with that number circled on the call-box card tacked next to their phone knew what was happening: The Cliff Hotel was afire! The last of the great Scituate Hotels, famous from the turn of the century for housing movie stars, celebrities and Canadians went out in a blaze of glory.


11. Elephant Rock (Well Rock, the Hazards, Bar Rock)

For as long as humans have been coming to this beach, they’ve been clambering over this striped boulder, an outcropping of treacherous Minot’s ledge. It once had a set of steps that led to a gazebo on the top, where the Victorian ladies could watch the ocean without getting a tan.  It’s had many names...and a portion of it is named ‘Pirachi‘ supposedly in memory of a boy who lost his life in a diving accident.  It used to be was a rite of passage to jump off at that point.


12. Minot’s Ledge and Minot Light

Minot’s Ledge, known as the graveyard of ships, is one of many groups of rocky outcroppings off the coast of Scituate, and has been the scene of countless shipwrecks. Minot’s Light was first lit in 1860.  Between 1832 and 1841 there were 40 wrecks on this and neighboring reefs. Between 1817 and 1847, it was estimated that 40 lives and $364,000 in property had been lost in shipwrecks in the vicinity of Minot’s Ledge, off Cohasset, Massachusetts. The most dramatic incident was the sinking of a ship with ninety-nine Irish immigrants, who all drowned within sight of their new home land.

       

13. The Glades

At the end of this road, behind a chained entrance lies the estate of Charles Francis Adams. Now owned by a corporation of Yankee bluebloods who reserve portions of it for their summer vacations. The accommodations are hardly luxurious, but the property affords beautiful views of Boston Harbor, the Atlantic Ocean and dozens of seals in the month of February...and, of course, has a tennis court.

     

14. Bailey’s Causeway

This road across the marsh was once a plank path, but now can be navigated by bicycles and sometimes even automobiles, at low tide. Don’t miss it.


15. Hatherly Country Club’

Golfing on the “Riviera”. Founded in 1899, Hatherly Country Club is a private 18-hole golf club located in North Scituate, Massachusetts. Parts of the course have stunning views of ocean. In it’s beginning, “No Irish Need Apply” today that rule no longer holds. The golf course is a par 70 and plays to a length 6,185 yards from the blue tees. Considered a links-style course, Hatherly is known for its relatively small, firm greens and thick rough. The setting of the golf course offers some of the most scenic ocean views in the State. Finishing holes 16, 17, and 18, along with the clubhouse, overlook acres of salt marsh that stretch to a barrier beach and the inlet channel to Cohasset Harbor. There is also a spectacular view of the Atlantic Ocean. On clear days, Boston and the North Shore are easily visible across the water.