1.  The Site of the Boston Sand and Gravel Company

In 1914, the Boston Sand and Gravel Company bought mining rights to the Coleman Hills and began to remove them. The sand was loaded on train and by barge, headed for Boston to create the foundation for Logan Airport. Between 1922 and 1931, the company removed 48,000 tons of sand and gravel, or 2,000 tons per day for six days a week. From 1947 to 1963, it moved 200,000 tons per year. Most of Coleman’s Hills, that once stood forty feet high, disappeared entirely.   A network of roads evolved and moved with the operation, sliding along the Driftway to meet the needs of the latest excavation. In all, 14,000,000 tons of sand were transported to Boston.  The complex network of trails and access to the ocean made it an ideal landing-place for illegal bootleg liquor in the late twenties. Almost anyone with access to a power boat could travel the two sea miles to ‘rum row’ offshore, and even when the Coast Guard increased its surveillance, Scituate’s tipplers were seldom thirsty. By the early sixties, the open-pit mine had pretty much payed out, and on July 18. 1963, the buildings caught fire in a conflagration second only in townspeople's memory to the Cliff Hotel blaze.  Today, the new Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority Greenbush commuter rail station, the town's recycling and transfer centers, and the Widow’s Walk Golf course stand where George H. Eaton once thought he'd find gold. The Driftway Conservation Park offers picnic tables and a boat launching site where once lobster boats unloaded cases of Canadian Club. The remains of the old docks now overlook the salt marshes that first attracted the Men of Kent over 375 years ago.


2.  Scituate’s Wind Turbine

In 2006, a group of residents proposed the idea of a town-owned turbine to the Board of Selectmen. Built on land leased from the town, with the town receiving all of the electricity through a power purchase agreement, the 1.5 MW turbine came online March 29, 2012.  The turbine is the largest and most visible undertaking of the town and its Renewable Energy Committee, and the wind project helped to catalyze the town’s other recent clean energy accomplishments, including:   

• Designation as a Green Community in 2011

• Commenced installation of 3 MW solar array on town’s capped landfill across the street.

  1. Adoption of a $5.9 million Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) for energy and systems improvements in all town and school buildings


  1. 3.  Scituate Country Club

The clubhouse, built in 1779, was the original home of the Welch family, and the course was its farm. Founded in 1919, the club is home to a beautiful nine-hole course, golf shop, clubhouse and function facility overlooking the mouth of the North River.  Surrounded by trees, marsh, river, and sea, Scituate Country Club offers the perfect spot for golf outings and social events.

4.   The Mann House and Museum

Five generations of the Mann family lived at the Mann Farmhouse, descendants of early settler Richard Mann who died in 1655/6. The Mann House is an example of a 3 Century house as some parts were built in the 17th, 18, and 19th Centuries. The artifacts of the Mann Family, on display, date from the seventeenth century to the present time and were handed over to the custodianship of the Scituate Historical Society by Mann Family heirs.  The Manns worked at many trades: they were farmers, sea captains, soldiers in every war, ministers, teachers and sail makers. Don't miss the Scituate Garden Club's nationally recognized Wildflower Garden to the rear of the Mann House...or the story of the tree in the car.


In the 1920s, Percy Mann decided that rather than pay fees and car insurance to Town officials, he would just drive his automobile into the back yard, park it and never drive it again. Over the course of time a tree grew up through the middle of the car, which remains where he left it almost a century ago.   In 1980, the Scituate Garden Club carved the magnificent wildflower garden’s beginning out of what was an overgrown wilderness. Over the years, Garden Club members have maintained and developed the Garden to its present impressive size. Showcasing mostly wild and predominantly native plants, the Garden has been awarded two National awards and several State and District Garden Club awards. In June of 1986, the Garden was presented to the town as part of Scituate's 350th birthday celebration.


5.   The Charles Turner Torrey House

This is the home of one of the North's first abolitionists. Born in Scituate, on November 21, 1813, Charles Turner Torrey graduated from Yale in 1830, studied theology, but soon relinquished his pastoral duties to devote himself to anti-slavery activism in Maryland. He is known to have freed over 400 slaves. In 1843 he attended a slaveholders' convention in Baltimore, reported its proceedings, and was arrested and put in jail.

In 1844, having been caught in his attempt to aid in the escape of several slaves, he was tried, convicted, and sentenced to a long imprisonment in the state penitentiary. After two years in prison, he died on May 9, 1846 of untreated tuberculosis. His Boston funeral in Tremont Temple was attended by an immense concourse of people. The story of his sufferings and death excited eager interest both in the United States and in Europe and “Torrey's blood crieth out” became a watch word of abolitionists, giving impetus to the anti-slavery cause.

6. The site of the Stockbridge Mansion

The original house burned down years ago, but on this site the Stockbridge Mansion served as a garrison house in King Philip's War for protection of the mills, and was successfully defended.  John Stockbridge settled in Scituate in 1638. In 1656, he purchased half the mill privilege from George Russell, including a saw mill, then built a gristmill before 1660 and operated it in partnership with Russell. Also before 1660, he built the mansion, which was used as a garrison for the mills. Later the house became an Inn, The White Swan. It was one of the stops along the Boston Post Road from Boston to Plymouth. It was a roadhouse, tavern, and some say a house of questionable reputation....


7.   The Stockbridge Mill

Known as the oldest mill in America, in 1640 Isaac Stedman dammed the First Herring Brook and built a sawmill beside the pond, and around 1650, John Stockbridge built  the grist mill. Some of the machinery now in the mill was installed by Stockbridge. Owned and operated by the Stockbridge and Clapp families until 1922 when William H. Clapp deeded it to the Scituate Historical Society, in 1970 the mill was again restored to working condition and corn was ground during historical tours.  The mill and the pond were made famous in 1817 by Samuel Woodworth in his poem "The Old Oaken Bucket.”


8. “The Old Oaken Bucket” House

Samuel Woodworth was born in Scituate in 1784 and lived on the farm on what is now called Old Oaken Bucket Rd. In 1817 he wrote the poem,  it was set to music in 1826. It was sung around campfires in the Civil war by homesick soldiers, and became what many believe is the first nation-wide ‘popular ‘ song. The poet's unpretentious childhood home on Old Oaken Bucket Road was the goal of sentimental tourists in the late 19th century.


Today, the winner of the Perdue-Indiana Football game wins the “Old Oaken Bucket.”  In 1935, by a vote of the Town, it was declared the official song of Scituate, and schoolchildren were encouraged to memorize it.  The property was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.


"How dear to this heart are the scenes of my childhood,

When fond recollection presents them to view!

The orchard, the meadow, the deep-tangled wild-wood,

And every loved spot which my infancy knew!

And e'en the rude bucket that hung in the well—

The old oaken bucket, the iron-bound bucket,

The moss-covered bucket which hung in the well”


9.   The Maritime and Irish Mossing Museum

In the 1790's, New England was in the grip of a small pox epidemic and the original structure served as a pestilence hospital. The main building was built by Benjamin James in 1739. A small additional building, built in the mid-1600's, was moved to the site of the large house around 1760. The structures were acquired by the Historical Society in 1995 and serve as the Scituate Maritime and Mossing Museum; focused on preserving our shared maritime heritage and educating people of all ages on the diverse, beautiful, and often tragic events that fill our past. The Museum presently has exhibits on the Portland Storm of 1898, shipbuilding along the North River, local lifesaving history, the Forest Queen wreck of 1853, the Thomas W. Lawson and the lost art of mossing. In 2014, the  last known existing mossing shed was moved from First Cliff to this museum.  One hundred years ago there were many Irish Moss storage sheds along the Scituate waterfront. Irish Moss, a type of seaweed, is an emulsifier in the production of many different products, including chocolate milk, toothpaste, mayonnaise, salad dressing, and cosmetics.  Heading off the beach in small dories at slack tides, the mossers used 14-foot-long rakes to scrape the moss off the rocks and haul it into their boats. Bringing it ashore, they washed it in salt water, as fresh water would destroy it, and laid it out on the beach to dry. When it had gone from slimy and black to brittle and white, the moss was ready for sale. Today this Moss Shed is the only example left. Before the Scituate Historical Society secured funding from Community Preservation funds this shed was in danger of collapse. This shed is unique since many mosser's names are written on the interior walls.


10.   Widow’s Walk Golf Course

Widow's Walk opened to much fanfare and national acclaim in 1997 touted as an “environmental demonstration course.” Since then it has been designated as an Audubon International, Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary.  In 2004 it was heralded in Golf Digest as one of the “Best New Golf Courses in America.”