1. 1.Mount Hope Improvement Society

High Street School was a primary school dating back to 1894. It had grades 1st thru 4th and upon graduation, before entering grammar school, pupils had to know common fractions, addition, subtraction, division and a common knowledge of geography. The average attendance was 28 pupils. In 1918, the school finally closed because of the dwindling number of pupils.  The Mt. Hope Improvement Society was formed In 1921 and ever since has held their meetings at the High Street School. The Square memorializes Lawrence Litchfield who survived WWI and lived in the Cape Cod house to the South.


2. Litchfield Preserve Trail

The Maxwell Trust, along with volunteers guided by experienced trail blazers Howard and Nancy Mathews made and installed color coded trail markers for all of the trails in the Bates Lane Area Forest. Color coded maps are available at the kiosk at the head of the trail.  The kiosk was made by Eagle Scout Sam Brigham. Parking is available across the street.


3. Mount Hope Cemetery

Where the West­Enders come home to rest. The headstones tell a history of Scituate.


4. The highest point in the Town of Scituate

This is usually where they put the water towers, but the West End was too far away from those that needed Town water....and the West Enders all had their own wells.  Down the hill across Summer Street was the home of our own Mat Brown's grandfather, W.F. Brown.


5. Ray’s Garage

Ray helped bring the automobile to the West. He sold gas and kerosine, fixed cars, and was a friend to all.


6. Itchy’s Pole

A political victory for West­Enders: When the 1970 Town Fathers decided that the telephone pole in the middle of Itchy’s Square was a traffic hazard. The entire West End went up in arms! From the 30’s, ‘Itchy’ Cohen sold newspapers, ice cream, tonic, bread and milk from a small store at the corner, He was crippled, but got around in a specially-made gas runabout, and later a hand­operated automobile. His cheerful attitude in the face of his disability made him beloved by the West­enders. “SAVE THE POLE” posters went up, meetings were held, and today the pole commands a tidy park commemorating Itchy’s Square, also known as Clapp’s Corner.


7. Zenas and Melvin Litchfield's General Store

The store was located at the corner of Summer and Cedar, it once housed a shoemaking enterprise in the early 1800's. Farmers would craft the

various pieces of shoes in their homes, during the winter months, and they would be sent to that central location for assembly.


8. Norwell (South Scituate)

Norwell was first settled in 1634 as a part of the settlement of Scituate, which encompassed present­day Scituate and Norwell. It was officially created in

1849 and soon became known as South Scituate. The town changed its name by ballot to Norwell in 1888, after Henry Norwell, a dry goods merchant who provided funds for the maintenance of the town roads. Early settlers were attracted to Norwell for agricultural reasons, with the town later developing a major shipbuilding industry based on the North and Northwest rivers. Shipbuilding was a major industry in the 18th through the early 19th centuries. Some of the finest frigates, schooners, whalers, and merchant vessels were produced on the North River, including the ill­fated Essex, which inspired Melville’s Moby Dick.


  1. 9.Union Mission Chapel

Built in 1885, this forever nonsectarian chapel has welcomed worshipers from near and far. Back then the West­Enders nearest church was two miles away, and folks most often got to their destination by “shanks' mare” (on foot.) A few people in the area, unable to get to their own churches, started cottage prayer meetings. A Sunday School was started by Miss Clara Sherman in the front room of the Sherman house. In May of 1885, Justice of the Peace, George Clinton Lee, was petitioned to call a meeting for the petitioners to form a religious society, organize a corporation, and collect funds to build a chapel. Mr. Lee drew up the plans for the 20 x 30 building. He was a carpenter and a teacher, and according to his grand­neice, Mrs Alice Lee Taylor of North Scituate, that as a child “He used to give me half a peppermint, never a whole one, though.” The chapel was completed and dedicated on October 22, 1885 with about 175 persons attending.


10. Sherman’s Corner

Once the Town’s center and a site of an early Town Hall. Prior to the separation of church and state, town meetings were held at the churches. The first town hall wasn't built until early in the 19th century and that building was moved across the current border, to Norwell Center around 1850.


11.The Scituate Town Forest

An early example of conservation. The many Scituate Town Forests were first planted to provide lumber and fuel for the settlers.


12. Mungo's Corner

Elias Mungo was a schoolteacher who owned property at the corner of First Parish and Grove.


13. Manson’s Corner

Captain John L. Manson was the captain of a ship that was part of the China trade in the mid­1800s. His ship was the first iron ship to sail around the world under the American flag. Before the Panama Canal was completed, Manson set a record for the fastest voyage from San Francisco to Boston .


14. Lionel Bush Square

Lionel Bush was a veteran of the First World War and volunteered (at age 65) for the Second.


15.Carl Pipes Memorial Trail

Color coded trail maps are available at the kiosk at the entrance of the trail. The Pipes kiosk was made by South Shore VO Tech students. Parking is available across the street.


16. Salome's Heritage by Kenneth Francis Bates

Said to be about a man's reminiscence of growing up in 1900's Scituate. It’s hard to figure out exactly who some of the people are Bates was talking about, but Henry Turner Bailey is in it, and some West­Enders can read between the lines.  Norwell was first settled in 1634 as a part of the settlement of Scituate, Mat Brown, who considers this book required reading, tells of two sisters who lived here on Clapp Road and who coveted each others husbands. The men, knowing this, built their houses as mirror images of each other so the kitchens would be on opposite sides. Everyone’s wishes came true, and they all were later referred to as the ‘West­End Fence Jumpers.’ Salome is said to haunt the right­hand house.