1. Scituate Maritime Center

Built in 2009 originally to provide facilities to the marina boaters, the project was spearheaded by Scituate's Waterways Commission. Funded by a combination of grant money and generous corporate and private donations, much of the actual work was done by the students of South Shore Vocational Technical High School with help from many tireless volunteers. Available for a nominal fee, the Maritime Center now finds itself home to the town's sailing program and many other committees and groups for monthly meetings and events. Accommodating anywhere from 50 to 90 guests, the building boasts one of the only local function rooms with a water view. Facing west the deck offers sunsets on the water and beautiful views of Scituate Harbor and the surrounding marshes and creeks, making it a perfect spot for parties, or business events.


2.Mass Humane Society Boathouse

The Massachusetts Humane Society was founded in 1786 by a group of Boston citizens who concerned about the needless deaths resulting from shipwrecks and drownings and wanted to find ways to save lives. It was based on the Royal Humane Society, a similar organization established in Great Britain in 1774.


By the early 20th century the society operated more than 50 support stations along the state's coast, and provided all manner of equipment for the use of rescuers. This building was but one of many built along the coast, this one around 1896 and was designated as Station No. 23. It was located at Pleasant Beach Cohasset. This building was equipped with a new lifeboat, Hunt Line Throwing Gun, and other rescue equipment.


Shortly after this boathouse was placed in service, the Great Portland Storm of November 1898 struck the New England Coast.  Many vessels were driven ashore including the coal barge Lucy Nichols.  Volunteers from this station made a heroic, but unsuccessful attempt to reach the crew stranded at Black Rock.  The rescuers were thrown into the sea, but managed to swim back to the shore.  The cew of the Hull Life-saving Station later rescued the Nichols Crew.  The last appointed Captain on the Station No. 23 was Arthur O. Wood.  He was appointed on August 1, 1930.  In the mid-1930's the Humane Society closed most boathouses.  This boathouse was moved from Cohasset to Scituate's First Cliff around 1938.  Very few of these boathouses still exist in Massachusetts.


3. Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary

This building used to house the US Coast Guard. The boathouse and dock are out back. It is now Stellwagen Bank, one of 14 sites in the National Marine Sanctuary System. The scientists here concentrate on everything from protection of whales to coastal restoration and marine commerce support. NOAA’s scientists use cutting edge research and hightech instrumentation to provide citizens, planners, emergency managers and other decision makers with real time information. The Gerry E. Studds Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, one of the richest marine life areas in the world, is home to everything from tiny plankton to huge Blue Whales. Look for the AUK, the SBMS research craft tethered to the dock.


4. Chesapeake v Shannon and “Don't Give Up the Ship”

Walk over the stony beach and walk to the end of the seawall. Gaze out the harbor and picture this scene twelve miles of the Scituate shore: “All during May, 1813, the USS Chesapeake, sister ship to the USS Constitution, was blockaded in Boston Harbor by the HMS Shannon, an experienced and deadly 38 gun three masted frigate. Since they were similar in size and armament, the local Massachusetts citizens wanted the Chesapeake to come out and challenge the British warship, and on June first, the newly appointed Captain James Lawrence made his move. When the Chesapeake was observed passing Boston Light, the word passed thru the seaside towns, “The Chesapeake is out!” The citizens crowded the coast to observe the ship-to-ship battle.


The Chesapeake sailed 6 leagues due east of Boston Light, and there, halfway between Provincetown and Cape Ann, it met the Shannon in deadly conflict. Within 15 minutes, 61 Americans lie dead or dying, and the mortally wounded Captain Lawrence uttered his last words, “Tell the men to fire faster, and don’t give up the ship! Fight her till she sinks!” The Chesapeake was lost, and sailed to Halifax Nova Scotia, where a memorial to the battle exists today. But it was a dark day for the young American Navy.


Three months later however, on Lake Erie, Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, a good friend of Lawrence, renamed his flagship the USS Lawrence and had a flag made that read “Don’t Give Up the Ship” flown from its taffrail. Perry attacked the British squadron, and when the smoke cleared, he sent a message to his commander, William Henry Harrison, “We have met the enemy and they are ours, two ships, two brigs, one schooner and one sloop.” The loss of the British squadron directly led to the rout of British forces by Harrison's army, the death of Tecumseh and the breakup of his Indian alliance. Along with the Battle of Pittsburgh, it was one of only two significant fleet victories of the war.

The flag with the words “Don’t Give Up the Ship” was enshrined in the Naval Academy at Annapolis and became the motto of the U.S.Navy.


5. Second Cliff

The second wave of Irish immigrants settled on Second Cliff. Later, immigrants from Boston, like Joe Meany, Treasurer of the Boston Braves, and the infamous Governor’s Councilor Patrick J. “Sonny” McDonough.


6. Peggotty Beach

This beautiful, small and family friendly beach (even at high tide) was indeed named after Dicken’s ‘Peggotty’ in David Copperfield. Watch the surfers navigate the rocks of the seawall, and be here for the Fourth of July fireworks and bonfires; you can see them all the way to Plymouth. This bay was the center of Scituate's mossing industry.


7. Edward Foster Road Bridge

Constructed in 1917 and dedicated to Scituate’s WWI volunteers, the bridge provides easy and safe passage to First and Second cliff, but more importantly, it provides a jumping off place for daredevils when the summer tide is high.


8. Site of the first Town Wharf

To the right of the “bank of many names,” is a stone with a plaque stating where, in 1633, the first town landing was built. But more fun are the ducks, bring your bread. The gulls are pushy, the ducks hang back and the swans are fearless. Don’t play favorites.


9. Cole Parkway

The Cole family had been in Scituate for years, but when this big gravel filled space was finally ‘tarred’(to lay the dust) in the fifties, ‘Baldy’ Cole was Scituate’s Fire Chief. From left to right you see the US Coast Guard Station, the Harbormaster’s office, the Cole Parkway floats, The Morill Bandstand, (where concerts are held on Friday nights in the Summer) Lucian Rousseau Landing (where ‘Lucy Anne’ used to load up his truck with Irish moss) and the start of Scituate’s Harbor Walk.


10. The Harbor Walk

This scenic walk circumnavigates Cole Parkway beginning at the water, Satuit Brook, across from Coffee Corner. Grab a cup. From here, as you face the water, you can see the lighthouse, First Cliff, the Marine Park, Second Cliff, then Third Cliff...and finally, the Scituate Wind Turbine. Go north along the walkway, past the Town Pier, right on Jericho and on to Old Scituate Light house. Thanks go to the former Harbormaster Mark Patterson and Community Preservation funding for beautifying this walk.


11. The Bates House: the home of Rebecca and Abigail

The little yellow cape has been home to only two families since it was purchased by John Bates from Job Otis Jr. in 1761. This is where Rebecca and Abigail Bates, the American "Army of Two" lived out their long lives after their father died. During the war of 1812, they lived down the street at the Lighthouse. The story goes that Abigail and Rebecca,  young daughters of the lighthouse keeper, prevented the British from sacking the town.  Noting the approach of two red coat filled barges from a British ship of war, the girls snatched fife and drum and hiding behind a thick cluster of cedar trees made such a din that the British mistook them for an entire regiment and made a hasty retreat.


12. Scituate Harbor Yacht Club

Incorporated in 1940, SHYC is a private, family oriented club. For over 72 years the Scituate Harbor Yacht Club has been a fixture on beautiful Scituate Harbor. Since its inception, SHYC has placed an emphasis on competitive and recreational sailing, tennis and swimming all while offering an environment which embraces tradition, family values, volunteerism and community. Listen for the cannon at sunset.


  1. 13.Museum Beach

Was named for an early photographer. His house’s eastern porch rested on the beach, and that housed a collection of photos taken by its photographer resident; a museum of images of early Scituate, many of which are now archived in the Scituate Historical Society.


14. Edward Hart Square

Named after Mr. Ed Hart of Scituate's Highway Department who lost his life in an heroic attempt to save a little girl in the storm of '78. Eighty years after the disastrous storm of ’98, Massachusetts and Scituate were struck by an equally strong Nor’Easter. “From Minot Beach to Humarock, the coastline of Scituate was littered with the remains of houses destroyed by wind and water. The houses no longer surrounded by flooding were engulfed in mud. The homes not ruined appeared sandblasted and pocked by the sand pebbles and in some cases boulders tossed up from the sea.” Gary B. McMillan Boston Globe, Feb. 9, 1978. This corner of Lighthouse and Rebecca was particularly hard hit.


15. Scituate Light and the wreck of the Etrusco

In the year 1810, the United States Congress voted $4000 to build a lighthouse with an attached keeper's cottage at Scituate Harbor. Here lived the first keeper, Capt. Simeon Bates with his wife and several of their 11 children. In addition to the famed “The Army of Two” War of 1812 legend, the wreck of the Etrusco is another of Scituate's historic events. On St. Patrick’s Day morning in 1956, the freighter Etrusco ran aground in front of the light. It attracted tourists all that summer, and on Thanksgiving Day, it was re-floated and sailed away. Many of those tourists eventually settled in Scituate.


16. Wreck of the pilot boat Columbia

During the fabled Storm of 1898 when the North River Broke through Scituate's coastline, and the steamer Portland went down with all hands, so did the Pilot Boat Columbia. The wreck was converted into a gift shop and tea room, and lasted through the 20’s. It had washed up right at the crotch of Lighthouse and Rebecca roads and became one of the first of Scituate's tourist attractions.


17. The Avenues: First through Tenth

Around Fifth is where the storms come in. They seem to concentrate on the little brick house on the corner. And just like the little pig's brick house, she's still standing. Before the houses were built, this area was called ”The Proving Grounds.” This area, before the First World War, was where new machine guns were tested, and pill boxes erected to oppose enemy landings. Further west, you used to be able to see the antennas of radio station WRUL. From here “The Voice of America” could be heard all over the world and behind the iron curtain.


18. Sheep Ponds

You can see white egrets, barn swallows, terns, turtles, a family of ducks and sometimes, swans here in the summer. The ponds hold a popular stew of life, each pond is rich with life,very shallow, with a muddy bottom. Don’t dive in...it’s yucky.


19. Egypt Beach

The path to the left leads to a piles of beach stone where you can sit and sun between the ocean and one of the sheep ponds. This beach is a “Shingle Beach.” The stones are all worn smooth by hundreds of years of rubbing against one another in the surf. When the waves are high, you can hear the stones clattering. From here you can gaze down to the water's edge and imagine the day when the Scituate Sea Serpent came ashore.


On a November afternoon in 1970, WBZ radio announced there was a sea serpent ashore in Scituate, before long there was a good crowd around it. Sure enough, there on the stoney beach was a Sea Serpent: long neck, tiny skull, fat body, and two flippers, just like Nessie, the Loch Ness Monster. The rest was much decomposed, but it didn’t smell as bad as it looked.